It’s an x factor. A feeling, a destination, an experience so special that it touches the soul and takes you to your happy place. For us, no place embodies that more than Formentera. We visited over 15 years ago when we were footloose and fancy free and fell in love. The truly, madly, deeply kind. We've been many times since and have been so inspired that we named our Formentera kaftan after this magical place. Aquamarine waters, white sandy beaches and a heart and soul to rival the best of Europe’s best (minus the ego and the crowds!), it is a must see / must do / essential addition to your bucket list of travel destinations. Often referred to as one of Europe’s best kept secrets. Swim, stay, eat, drink & play....Here are our best bits…
S W I M
· Playa Mitjorn; the longest beach and most beautiful of the island. Set up camp ~ the 11km mark in front of Flipper & Chiller.
· Cala Saona; a small cove where the beach is deeper than it is wide. Amazing sunsets with a cute chiringuito and a great taverna called Sol.
· Platja Llevant; sister to famous Illetes beach but less crowded and no beach merchants. Stay south for more secluded sections.
· Platja des Pujols; just south of Platja sa Roqueta in an unmarked turn off. Turquoise water and zero entrance fees unlike Illetes.
S T A Y
Not just for day trippers. These beauties will have you coming back time after time..
· Las Dunas Playas – Platja Mitjorn // www.dunasplaya.com
· Hotel Es Mares – Sant Francesc // www.hotelesmares.com/en/
· Es Ram Resort – La Mola // www.esramresort.com
· Gecko Beach Club – Platja Mitjorn // www.geckobeachclub.com
E A T
· 10punto7 – Mitjorn; epic salads and modern, fresh food with Italian or Asian influence and arguably the best view on the island.
· Can Carlos – Sant Francesc; classy but cool, its a Formentera institution, dining under fairy lights.
· Can Toni – La Mola; tapas bar with great atmosphere, a welcome pitstop after your compulsory visit to the hippie markets.
· Es Mercado – Sant Ferran; buzzy restaurant next to lovely night market serving the best pizzas on the island. Be sure to stop by Fonda Pepe later for authentic experience that dates back to the 60s.
D R I N K & P L A Y
· Beso Beach – Illetes; palm fronds and a DJ playing house music.. what more could you ask for?
· Piratabus – Mitjorn 11km; a chiringuito (beach shack) serving classic rock tunes with some of the best mojitos on the island. And the Spaniards certainly know how to do a mojito well.
· Blue Bar – Mitjorn 7.9km; step into an all-blue universe celebrating an old-school psychedelic vibe. One of the few places on the island open until late.
· Lucky – Mitjorn 7.9km; the coolest of all chiringuitos. Perfect venue for some unforgettable sundowners and some pinch yourself moments.
· Big Store – Sant Francesc; situated next to the town square - where the day starts and ends for everyone.